Featured Post

Now Shipping! Brunswick Stew: A Virginia Tradition & Virginia Barbecue: A History

Brunswick Stew: A Virginia Tradition and Virginia Barbecue: A History  available in stores and at online booksellers now! Virginia B...

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Andy's Bar-B-Q - Santa Clara, CA


I recently visited San Jose, CA / Silicon Valley and while I was there I decided to check around for local BBQ restaurants. My time was limited because I was working practically non-stop from about 5am to 10pm each night just taking time out for meals. But, I did make it to Andy's Bar-B-Q in Santa Clara.

As I walked around the restaurant to the entrance, out back I found a huge all wood smoker! That is always a good sign. It turns out that Andy's actually cooks BBQ over an all wood fire. So many restaurants have turned to gas cookers nowadays. It's always nice to see a restaurant that hasn't compromised the integrity of their product for convenience.

I ordered a combination platter so that I could sample as much of the BBQ I could in one visit. My server brought out this HUGE plate of 4 large spare ribs, a 3/4 pound sausage, and about 1/2 pound of brisket! There was no way I was going to eat all of that. But, it was fun trying.

The barbecue was pretty good. The sausage was delicious, the ribs tender, and the brisket was juicy.




They served sauce on the side in a little cup. The sauce was slightly sweet with a hint of molasses and some other herb/spice that I couldn't identify. I've tasted that flavor in foods all around California and I still haven't been able to identify it. I should probably ask about it next time I'm out there. They also served smoked garlic bread which, in my experience, is unusual for a BBQ restaurant. Overall, I thought the barbecue was good. It's worth the trip if you are out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment