Featured Post

Now Shipping! Brunswick Stew: A Virginia Tradition & Virginia Barbecue: A History

Brunswick Stew: A Virginia Tradition and Virginia Barbecue: A History  available in stores and at online booksellers now! Virginia B...

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Barbecue Secret Number 10 - The Propane Torch - a.k.a. The Weed Burner


While, in my opinion, propane is an abomination when it comes to cooking barbecue, it does make a great grill cleaner and fire starter. I use propane and a weed burner to start the fires in my smokers and grills. I can start a grill full of charcoal in 90 seconds with my weed burner. I can start my Jambo pit smoker using all white oak wood in less than 5 minutes. It's a great tool.


In the photo above, I am firing up my little Smokey Joe grill using the weed burner. The weed burner also serves double duty. Notice in the photo to the left how clean the grill grates are after burning off the debris using the weed burner as I was lighting the fuel. Now, that's a great barbecue tool!









A weed burner can also be used to cook food. Here, I "char" up some chili peppers.









Once the chili peppers were charred up nicely, I put them in a plastic bag and let them steam from their own heat for about 15 minutes. Then, I scraped off the charred skin, removed the stems, removed the seeds, and sliced them into little cubes.





Once the peppers were chopped, I sauteed them in a little extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.

I use the peppers to top hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, soups, etc.




Barbecue Secret Number 10 - The Weed Burner. Just be really careful and follow all manufacturer's instructions.

Read about more barbecue secrets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment